Sunday, September 20, 2020

A Reason to Celebrate

I know many of you have wondered how I was able to make this international move during the pandemic, especially after having spent a large part of the past few years traveling extensively. The reality is that I have been preparing and planning for a big change like this for a long time, especially the past four years. While I didn't know for sure exactly when it would happen or where I would end up, I have always believed that, if you create opportunities and are open to all the possibilities, then you will be rewarded with the life you dream of. Thus, I am writing this post from the sunny beaches of my current home in Ecuador.

I also have some exciting news... In June, I officially became the first employee of Groundhopper Soccer Guides!

Here is a link to the newsletter that announces me as part of the team: The Groundhopper Issue #71.

And here is the link to the blog post that Paul and I wrote: Meet Alethea. I have excerpted part of it below, but I hope you will read the entire story on the website.

As always, I want to say thanks to my family, friends, and readers around the world who follow my adventures and cheer for my successes. All of your comments and likes inspire me to continue sharing!

From Paul Gerald, founder of Groundhopper Soccer Guides:

When I first came up with the idea that would become my book and, eventually, my business, I first sought out advice from the smartest person I knew. Several years later, in 2020 and with the business well up and running, I was ready to hire my first employee.

So again I sought out, and this time hired, the smartest and most organized person I knew. And it was the same person!

So say hello to Alethea Smartt, first employee of Groundhopper Soccer Guides. I like to say her last name needs the extra “t” because she’s just that damn smart. She will provide the administrative and organizational backbone while I do … whatever it is I do. Go to games and write, I suppose.

But she’s a lot more than smart and organized: For example, how many people do you know who have been a firefighter and a flight attendant? Also among the many interesting things about her, and about doing business in the modern age: She lives in Ecuador! So we’re a British football outfit based in Oregon with an employee in South America. Because why not?

And now I’ll let her say hello to you.

“Who are you?”

That’s the question Paul sent me in an email earlier this week asking me to introduce myself to you, the Groundhopper Guides community. There are books to be written on the subject (embed link here to Kickstarter campaign for my forthcoming autobiography — just kidding!) but, for now, let’s focus on how my life intertwines with the world of soccer.

Let’s start with, “Hi, my name is Alethea Smartt. Once you get to know me, you may discover that I’m one of the more interesting and unconventional people you’ll ever meet.” (Note from Paul: She is being a little silly, perhaps, but this is absolutely true.)

I have always been athletic and enjoyed competing in lots of different sports. I started playing soccer in high school as a way to stay active during softball’s off-season. I was a fullback and was selected for the All-District and All-Region teams during my senior year. I continued to play during college but eventually had to quit as I needed more time to study — Major in French, Minor in English Writing — and work as a firefighter and firefighting instructor. (Paul again: What did I tell you?)

I remember going to a friendly between the U.S. Women’s National Team and Sweden in 1997 and was thrilled to see my favorite players (Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Kristine Lilly, Michelle Akers) in person. I continued to follow world soccer and particularly enjoyed watching games when I was traveling to Europe for work during the early 2000s. I loved the sport enough to set an alarm for the pre-dawn hours to watch many of the 2010 World Cup matches in South Africa. I attended my first MLS match in 2009 in Seattle (Paul: I’ll just say I hope to hell they lost!) and, when I officially moved to Portland, OR in 2012, I became a devoted Timbers and Thorns fan. (Good choice.)

(From Paul: She also forgot the part where she worked in the beer industry for years. Talk about soccer-related experience! Check out CoasttoProst.com.)

Read more at https://groundhopperguides.com/meet-groundhopper-guides-employee-one-alethea/.


No comments:

Post a Comment